Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Clongowes Wood College in Joyce's Portrait

the buildings in 1888: castle, infirmary, 3rd line
study hall and refectory = dining-hall
upper line and lower line galleries?



studyhall/refectory block 1820?


from northwest
very useful 6min drone video


google earth
[streetview now]

 the Eustace family who built a castle there in 1450 [cite]

In 1718 Stephen Fitzwilliam Browne rebuilt the castle completing the western façade (front) just as it is today, comprising the central keep and the two square towers. In 1788 Thomas Wogan Browne extended and decorated the castle. The extension consists of the eastern façade and two round towers at the back of the castle all built in the Georgian style.

Ellmann: "Hamilton Rowan, a patriot and friend of Wolfe Tone, fled to the castle after his conviction in 1794 for sedition. He shut its door just as the soldiers were shooting, so that their bullets entered the door, then he threw his hat on the haha as a decoy, and let himself through a secret door into a tower room. His pursuers were fooled, thinking he had left, and he was able afterwards to make good his escape to France."

1886: Tullabeg merged with Clongowes

'To improve the ‘new’ Clongowes performances in the recently introduced Intermediate Examinations Fr James Daly was appointed Prefect of Studies in 1887. The Intermediate system was basically a system of payment to schools by results. To all intents and purposes it was a ‘league table’ system of education and was the Government’s way of providing funds to Catholic schools. Fr Daly embraced and worked the system to perfection and Clongowes became outstandingly successful, producing some of the best examination results in Ireland for many years. But this success was achieved at great cost. Fr Daly’s regime was a very harsh one with an over-emphasis on discipline, driven by a liberal use of the pandybat (a leather strap used for corporal punishment). This austerity is graphically illustrated by James Joyce in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man where Fr Daly appears under the pseudonym, Fr Dolan and punishes Stephen unfairly.' [more]

chapel now

1872 saw the construction of the Infirmary, which is a tall freestanding limestone building with large windows to ensure adequate ventilation
In 1874 Fr Carbery built the Third Line Building for younger students. Still called ‘The Carbery Building’ by some it is a large three-storey structure with high ceilings and three rows of very large windows. The ground floor then consisted of a study hall, a recreation area and a toilet block, while dormitories occupied the second and third storeys. [cite]

so SD should be sleeping on the 2nd or 3rd floor of this new building.

No comments:

Post a Comment